Rumeli Fortress The fortress which gives the name of the place where Istanbul is located in the Sarıyer district of Bosphorus. It was built by Fatih Sultan Mehmet in front of the Anatolian Fortress on the Anatolian side in order to prevent attacks from north of the Bosporus before the conquest of Istanbul. This is the narrowest point of the throat. Rumeli Hisari Concerts have been held in the venue for many years.
The Rumeli Fortress covers an area of 30 acres. It is built on the narrowest and driest part of the 600 meters of the Bosphorus in front of the Anadolu Hisarı. The three large towers of the fortress, completed in a short period of 90 days, have the world’s biggest castles.The name of Rumeli Hisari is Kulle-i Cedide in Fatih foundations; Yenice Hisar in his history; Kemalpaşazade, Aşıkpaşazade and Nişancı pass in the history as Boğazkesen Hisarı.
Hisarın construction started on April 15, 1452. Fatih Sultan Mehmet himself undertook the construction of the division of the work, which was given to the supervision of a pashant who built each section, and the construction of the part falling to the sea side. When viewed from the sea, Saruca Pasha on the right hand side of the building, Zaganos Pasha on the left side, and Halil Pasha on the side of the coast guard. The towers here bear the names of these pashas.
The construction of the Hisar was completed on 31 August 1452.The timbers used in the construction of the fortress were obtained from Iznik and Ereğli in the Black Sea, from stones and lime from various parts of Anatolia and from ruined Byzantine structures around the spolles. According to architect E. H. Ayverdi, there were approximately 300 craftsmen, 700-800 workers, 200 caravans, boatmen, transporters and other crew members in the construction of the fortress.
The work volume of the work, covering an area of 60,000 square meters, is about 57,700 cubic meters.Rumelihisari has three large and small Zaganos Pasha and 13 large and small burcu in the name of Saruca Pasha, Halil Pasha and Zaganos Pasha. Saruca Pasha and Halil Pasha towers with 9 floors and Zağanos Pasha Tower with 8 floors together with ground floors.
Saruca Pasha Tower is 23,30 meters in diameter, 7 meters in wall thickness and 28 meters in height. Zaganos Pasha Tower’s diameter is 26.70 meters, wall thickness is 5.70 meters, height is 21 meters. Halil Paşa Tower has a diameter of 23.30 meters, a wall thickness of 6.5 meters and a height of 22 meters.The Rumeli Fortress suffered great damage in the 1509 Great Istanbul Earthquake but was immediately repaired. In 1746 the wooden part of the fire was destroyed.
Hisar again III. It was repaired during the reign of Selim (1789-1807). When the wooden cones covering the towers of the fortress are demolished, they are filled with small wooden houses inside the castle. In 1953, with the instruction of President Celal Bayar, three Turkish women architects Cahide Tamer, Selma Emler and Mualla Eyüboğlu Anhegger started to work on the restoration of the fortress, the wooden houses in the castle were demolished and restored.